Play-By-Blog

Play-By-Blog Pathfinder Game

We will be using the Pathfinder Beta rules as the core rule system for the game. Characters will be generated using those rules. Please use the point buy chart and starting hit points as found on my web page, http://sites.google.com/site/zombiehomepage/Home/zombie-s-d-d-pathfinder-page.

GM Turn Posts will be posted approximately three times a week. The tentative schedule is Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10:00 PM and 12:00 AM. Turn Results will be posted as soon as possible prior to the next scheduled GM Turn Post. Player Action Posts should be posted by 10:00 PM EST Wednesday, Friday and Monday. This should allow around 48 hours to respond to a turn post and turn result.

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King - GM Turn Post 1

The adventure starts as the group finds itself settling down for a mid-day meal and some refreshment at the Coronet and Cabbage Inn in the small town of Kingsholm. The group is new to town having traveled north from Cheliax through the newly opened trade route through the Bloodsworn Vale.

Kingsholm is a sleepy little town located in the southeastern section of Varasia in the foothills of the Mindspin Mountains north of Korvosa. The town benefits from trade with near-by dwarf clans and halfling gypsies. The town has a population of just over 1,700, comprised of 75% human, 11% dwarf, 7% halfling, 4% gnome and 3% other. Items costing 500 GP or less can be purchased easily within town. Kingsholm appears to be like any other town in the area with the exception of the graveyard. Build on and in the near-by hills, the graveyard has existed for centuries and likely predates the town.

As the food and drinks arrive, a commotion arises from the back room. From the back three people enter the common room, a human male, a human female and a male dwarf. The characters recognize the human male as the owner of the inn, Ian Turbrand. The woman is dressed in the uniform of the town guard and the dwarf is dressed well and gives the appearance of wealth. The innkeeper walks directly to the group’s table.

“Are you mercenaries?” the big man asks. He glares at you with dark eyes as if challenging you to deny it. “Are you adventurers? We need brave and capable folk, right now, and we’re willing to pay!” Without waiting for your answer, he continues. “Mia says we have trouble up in the old graveyard,” indicating the woman in uniform. She looks uncomfortable, and you sense fear from all the onlookers. “We need your help, and we need it now!”

The woman is introduced as Captain Mia Desarna, leader of the town guard called sentinels. The dwarf is introduced as Gran Stoutbrace, a local merchant.

The immediate details presented to the group include the following:

  • Three locals went up to the graveyard the day before last to prepare a recently deceased member of the family for inturnment within the mausoleum. The family, a mother, father and daughter, have not returned. When they were reported missing, two sentinels went to investigate.
  • The guards that were sent were a dwarf man named Dornal and a human woman named Zeera. They have not returned either. Mia is reluctant to send anymore sentinels to investigate.
  • There has been no trouble reported regarding the graveyard for as long as townsfolks can remember.

Ian Turbrand, on behalf of Kingsholm, offers each member of the group 50 GP to investigate the disappearances.

What do you do? Do you accept the mission? Do you have questions for the locals?

Please provide 10 rolls rather than the normal 5 rolls for Saving Thows/Skills.

(This is not a combat situation and can be resolved through a combination of Action Responses and Questions.)

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King – Turn Results 1

Ian Turbrand turns to Torvald. “No, the Yurlings are not dwarves, they are human. Desiree, Morgan and Tyra went to prepare Gunar, Morgan’s father,” explains the innkeeper. “The Yurlings own a large farm on the prairie south of town. They are well liked by everyone. Ask anyone and they will tell you. Bandits or grave robbers! Spirits project us! I do not imagine that they would have brought anything that would merit that sort of foul attention. I would not say that the family was particularly wealthy, but being prominent citizens, they have the right to be interred in the mausoleum.”

Ian continues, “Almost all of my ancestors have been laid to rest in the mausoleum …”

While the innkeeper waxes on, Clint starts to work the common room looking for additional information. The elf slides up to a bookish half-elf eating her lunch at the bar. He smoothly engages her in conversation. Her name is Kethra Tims and she is a scholar. She came to Kingsholm to study the interesting statue to the north of town. The giant statue is in the image of an unnamed, great king. No one seems to know who the king is or why there is a statue of him in these hills. She believes the statue to be older than the graveyard and both clearly predate the founding of Kingsholm by many years.

“If you are anxious to head out, the graveyard in just a ways north of town,” begins Mia as she addresses Thurstan and Banjo. “I am worried for Dornal and Zeera. They are capable but I fear not as seasoned as the lot of you. May the protective spirits watch over them. With those two missing, we are a bit short-handed. Besides myself and those two, there are only six others to keep the peace.”

“I will accompany you and show you the way. The mausoleum is kept locked but I have a key as do all the sentinels and many prominent citizens such as Ian and the Yurlings.” With these words, Mia starts toward the door motioning the group to follow.

Torvald, Thurstan and Banjo follow the captain immediately. Clint slips out of the inn, quietly behind the others. Jean and Blunderbuss shrug, finish their ale and then follow the others.

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King - GM Turn Post 2

You follow Mia through the hills north of town before you reach the cemetery.

Ivy winds its way up the iron bars of the cemetery gate. No rust discolors the black metal, and flowers blossom near the wall. Beyond the wall, you see a gravel walkway that weaves its way up through the groomed grass and white tombstones. A few statues rise up along the hillside, their gray features gleaming in the sun.

“That’s not good,” says Mia. “The gate is open.”

With a worried look upon her face, the captain continues, “This is where we part ways. May the spirits protect and watch over you! Return to Kingsholm once you have news.”

You enter through the gates. The graveyard appears old but lovingly cared for. Fresh gravel covers the path and flowers, not weeds, grow beside the tombstones. A narrow path winds its way up the hill toward a large structure flanked by ancient, life-sized statues of a warrior and a priest. As you approach the mausoleum, Jean notices that the gravel has been stirred up, as if someone began to run here. There are tracks made by two booted figures. One set is slightly smaller than the other.

As you get closer to the building, you see that two humanoids lie sprawled on the mausoleum’s steps. Dark liquid seeps from under the bodies, and beyond them, the doors to the mausoleum are ajar.

As you focus on the bodies, you perceive movement at the feet of the statues. Two pairs of feral eyes gleam out at you from behind the graven images. Wolves! Another, darker wolf-shape roams farther away, among the nearby gravestones.

Neither side is surprised. Roll initiative and prepare for combat.

See the combat map for starting positions. Please submit your responses using the Player Action Response – Turn Post Template.

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King – Turn Results 2

Thurstan’s wolf moved to the wolf on the right, attacking with its bite dealing 4 damage. Banjo stepped to the right and cast a sleep spell at the wolf on the left. The animal made its saving throw and the spell had no effect. The wolf moved up and attempted to bite Blunderbuss. It missed the barbarian. Clint stepped to the left to get a clearer shot with his longbow but still missed the wolf on Blunderbuss. The other wolf shape moved forward and revealed itself to be a worg. The monster attacked Torvald, successfully biting the Paladin for 7 damage and knocking him to the ground. The remaining wolf snapped back at Thurstan’s wolf, hitting for 7 damage. Blunderbuss worked up a rage and power attacked the wolf which had attacked him but he too missed. Thurstan moved to attack the wolf engaged with his wolf. The cleric hit with his trident for 6 damage. Jean took a 5-foot step to aid Blunderbuss. The ranger attacked with his twin handaxes, missing once but scoring a critical hit with the other to deal 8 damage. Torvald bravely regained his feet avoiding the mighty jaws of the worg. The Paladin power attacked with his longsword, landing a blow for 10 damage.

See the combat map for current positions.

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King - GM Turn Post 3

Begin Round 2 of combat. Starting postitions for Turn 3 are displayed on the Combat Map.

The initiative order is:

  • 20 – Thurstan’s Wolf
  • 19 – Banjo
  • 19 – Wolf 1 (F11)
  • 17 – Clint
  • 16 – Worg
  • 13 – Wolf 2 (J9)
  • 10 – Blunderbuss
  • 9 – Thurstan
  • 7 – Jean
  • 1 – Torvald

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response – Turn Post Template.


Map Key:
  • Blue stars are the warrior and priest statues.
  • White ribbons are tombstones.
  • Green is grass.
  • Brown is the gravel path.
  • Gray is the mausoleum.
  • White rectangles are doors.
View
Barrow of the Forgotten King – Turn Results 3

Thurstan’s wolf moved past his opponent to achieve a flanking position. The enemy wolf snapped with his jaws dealing 7 damage. Thurstan’s wolf returned the favor attacking with its bite and dealing 5 damage. Banjo moved up the mausoleum steps to gain higher ground. The sorcerer stepped over the body of a woman laying on the stoop and fired his longbow at the wolf engaged with Thurstan and his wolf. The arrow missed. The other enemy wolf attempted to bite Jean. It missed the ranger. Clint stepped back and to the left to make a shot with his longbow on the worg. The arrow landed and dealt 4 damage. The worg attacked Torvald again but this time missed the paladin. The monster stepped back and to the right, tring to change its position of attack.The remaining wolf snapped back at Thurstan but also missed. Blunderbuss continued to rage and power attacked the wolf near him. The barbarian landed a mighty blow with his greataxe dealing 24 damage. Thurstan pressed the attack on the wolf between him and his wolf. The cleric hit with his trident for 13 damage. Jean took a 5-foot step to the south and attacked with his twin handaxes. Both attacks struck true for 3 and 4 damage and the wolf fell, overcome by its wounds. Torvald again power attacked the worg with his longsword, landing a blow for 14 damage.

See the combat map for current positions.

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King – GM Turn Post 4

Begin Round 3 of combat. Starting postitions for Turn 4 are displayed on the Combat Map.

The initiative order is:

  • 20 – Thurstan’s Wolf
  • 19 – Banjo
  • 17 – Clint
  • 16 – Worg
  • 13 – Wolf 2 (J9)
  • 10 – Blunderbuss
  • 9 – Thurstan
  • 7 – Jean
  • 1 – Torvald

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response – Turn Post Template.


Map Key:

  • Blue stars are the warrior and priest statues.
  • White ribbons are tombstones.
  • Green is grass.
  • Brown is the gravel path.
  • Gray is the mausoleum.
  • White rectangles are doors.
View
Barrow of the Forgotten King – Turn Results 4

Thurstan’s wolf attacked the enemy wolf with its bite and dealing 4 damage. Banjo fired his longbow at the wolf engaged with Thurstan and his wolf. The arrow missed. Clint made a shot with his longbow on the worg. The arrow landed and dealt 9 damage. The worg attacked Torvald again but missed the paladin. The remaining wolf snapped at Thurstan but missed. Blunderbuss continued to rage, took a 5-foot step and power attacked the worg. The barbarian landed a mighty blow with his greataxe dealing 26 damage, killing the monster. Thurstan pressed the attack on the wolf between him and his wolf. The cleric hit with his trident for 11 damage, killing it too. Jean looked around for more danger but no targets were apparent. Torvald made sure that the worg was truly dead by running his sword through the monster.

Thurstan channels energy for 3 points of healing for his wolf and Torvald.

Blunderbuss stops raging and is fatigued.

View
Barrow of the Forgotten King - GM Turn Post 5

On the steps of the mausoleum, the two bodies, seemingly savaged by some wild beast, lie in a pool of blood. One is a male dwarf, and the other is a female human. Each wears the remnants of a town sentinel’s tabard. Blood spatters cover the landing and the flagstones just inside the tomb’s doorway.

The doors of the mausoleum open to reveal a large stone room containing a stone table and several vaults built into the walls. Across the room you see a closed stone door. Blood is splattered and smeared on the table, walls and floor.

Jean is able to tell from the blood trail that the bodies were dragged out of the mausoleum, presumably by the wolves. The signs of battle reveal that the sentinels fought a battle inside the mausoleum. They did not fight the wolves but rather enemies using bows and bludgeoning weapons. A trail of blood leads back into the mausoleum all the way to the closed door in the rear. A set of keys rests in the lock.

Thurstan is able to validate the ranger’s findings. Dornal, the dwarf, was bludgeoned to death and Zeera, the human, was shot with arrows. The arrow shafts were broken off when the wolves dragged and began to eat the bodies.

What do you do next?

See the combat map for current positions.

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response – Turn Post Template.


Map Key:

  • Blue stars are the warrior and priest statues.
  • White ribbons are tombstones.
  • Green is grass.
  • Brown is the gravel path.
  • Gray is the mausoleum.
  • White rectangles are doors.
  • Gray rectangles are the table and vaults.
View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.